Social Outreach is an
integral part of our educational programme. The Social Outreach & Enabling
Centre is a Fergusson College initiative started in 2010 to give an opportunity
to the students to work with various civil society organisations. We consider
it our duty to uphold the human rights of all disadvantaged sections of
society. We believe that it is our collective responsibility to empower the
underprivileged to become self reliant so that they can live with respect and
In this endeavour, we are guided by certain universal and enduring values like compassion, tolerance, democracy, peace, justice, equality, pluralism, and cooperation.
- To sensitize the students to the world of deprivation, social exclusion and marginalization.
- To engage students in meaningful service that meets community needs.
- To instill a sense of social responsibility in students.
- To equip the students with skills, attitudes and knowledge to work with the poor and needy
Approximately 700 students have volunteered for this programme in the last 4 years
- Children from the underprivileged communities.
- Women’s Issues.
- De-addiction and Counseling.
- Children with Disabilities.
- Environmental Issues.
- Human Rights Issues.
Students are expected to put in at least 4 hours of work in a week. Broadly the work includes conducting surveys, organizing awareness campaigns, counseling, assisting teachers in day to day activities & during school annual days and other functions,conducting art and craft workshops, organizing clothes, toys and books collection drive, assisting the administrative staff of NGOs etc. We work with the following organisations:
- KKPKP(KagadKachPatraKashtakariPanchayat ) – a waste collectors’ organization
- AnkurVidyamandir – an inclusive school
- Doorstep School – an educational initiative for the underprivileged children
- Aalochana – a women’s documentation centre
- VanchitVikas –an organization working with urban poor, hawkers, sex workers and their children.
- Prism Foundation – an educational organization working with children with special needs
- Santulan – a drug de addiction centre
- BadhirMookShikshan Kendra – a school for deaf and mute children
- Department of Social Initiatives- Forbes Marshall
- HutatmaRajguruSchool – a neighbourhood school for the underprivileged children
- Tathapi – a women’s organization working on the issues of women and health
- Saathi – an initiative to integrate students with blindness into the college main life.
- Aakanksha Foundation - working in the area of education for the underprivileged
- Saheli HIV/AIDS Karyakarta Sangh working with sex workers
- CYDA - Centre for Youth Development Activities - working on issues of homeless people, traffic and drug abuse among youth.
- Greensteps Initiative - An on campus programme to make Fergusson College eco friendly.