Introduction“With the development of the new political structure in India, the Defence of India must be to an increasing extent, the concern of the Indian people and not of the British Government alone.”
-----Defence Sub-Committee of the First Round Table Conference.
Pre - Independence Military Training In CollegesAfter the First World War (August 5, 1921), the Indian Defence Force (IDF) was replaced by the Indian Territorial Force (ITF), of which the University Training Corps (UTC) forms a very important part. The UTC units were raised primarily with a view to obtain the recruits for the Officers Posts in Territorial Battalions.
In 1921, Fergusson College started the UTC unit with two platoons. In 1926, the UTC strength of Fergusson College increased from two to three platoons. In June 1930, one platoon of the College of Engineering was transferred to the Fergusson College and since then Fergusson College enjoyed the privilege of contributing full company- a Coy and was reputed as The Best Drilling Company.
Introduction of NCC Wings in the collegesThe NCC organization was created in 1948, by an Act of Parliament, Govt. of India.
Aims of NCC
- To develop the qualities of character, courage, comradeship, discipline, leadership, secular outlook, spirit of adventure and sportsmanship.
- To create a human resource of organized, trained and motivated youth, to provide leadership in all walks of life including Defence forces and be always available for the service of nation.
- To create suitable environment to motivate the youth to take up the career in the Defence services.Cardinals of Discipline:
- Obey with a smile.
- Be punctual.
- Make no excuses and tell no lies.
Motto of NCC : Unity and Discipline
Incentives to NCC Cadets
- Direct Commission for 'C' Certificate holders through Service Selection Board ,
- Preference is given in State & Central Govt. Services, Police, BSF, Coast Guard, CRPS, ITBF, CIST etc.
- Seats reserved for NCC Cadets for admissions in Engineering, Polytechnique and Medical Colleges
- Youth Exchange Programmes: Participation in international Youth Exchange Programmes held in various countries (Canada, UK, Singapore, Bangaladesh, Srilanka etc.)
- Chief Minister's Scholarship
- Maharashtra Government's Scholarship
- DG, NCC Scholarship
- Bonus Marks in the University Exam.
- Exemption in Physical Training(PT).
|•||Army||- 32 seats per Course|
|•||Navy||- 06 seats per Course.|
|•||Air Force||- 10 seats per Course.|
|•||Engineering College||- 10 seats|
|•||Polytechnic College||- 20 seats|
|•||Medical College||- 3 Marks Bonus.|
NCC Units of Fergusson CollegeThere are 2 units of NCC in Fergusson College
- Army Wing
- Naval Wing
In addition, there are following Open Units of NCC. Students from various colleges can enroll in these open units. Strength of Fergusson College students in these open units is as follows.